…and because Lauren Bacall is one of my favorite actresses, and one of the women who deeply inspires me. Below are my Top 10 quotes of her:
1. I remember my oldest son, Steve, saying to me once, “I don’t ever remember seeing you with an apron on”. And I thought, “That’s right, honey, you did not”. That was his concept of what a mother should be.
2. Actors today go into TV, which I don’t consider has a lot to do with acting. They only think of stardom. If you photograph well, that’s enough. I have a terrible time distinguishing one from another. Girls wear their hair the same, and are much too anorexic-looking.
3. A legend involves the past. I don’t like categories. This one is great and that one is great. The word “great” stands for something. When you talk about a great actor, you’re not talking about Tom Cruise. His whole behavior is so shocking. It’s inappropriate and vulgar and absolutely unacceptable to use your private life to sell anything commercially, but I think it’s kind of sickness.
4. I think your whole life shows in your face and you should be proud of that.
5. On imagination: Imagination is the highest kite that can fly.
6. [On Twilight films] Yes, I saw Twilight – my granddaughter made me watch it, she said it was the greatest vampire film ever. After the ‘film’ was over I wanted to smack her across the head with my shoe, but I do not want a (tell-all) book called Grannie Dearest written on me when I die. So instead I gave her a DVD of Murnau’s 1922 masterpiece Nosferatu and told her, ‘Now that’s a vampire film!’ And that goes for all of you! Watch Nosferatu instead!
7. I am not a has-been; I am a will-be.
8. A woman isn’t complete without a man. But where do you find a man – a real man – these days?
9. Patience was not my strong point.
10. Find me a man who’s interesting enough to have dinner with and I’ll be happy.
Good night Lauren Bacall! May you rest in peace.